Sunday, March 27, 2011

Peruvian Health Tips

Peruvians tend to have a different outlook on medicine and health than most Americans, so I´m always entertained by the most recent medical advice given by a well-intentioned community member. In case any of you are feeling ill, I will happily pass along the treatments I’ve gathered during my time here in Peru.


COLD DRINKS CAUSE A COLD! Well, if you have the sniffles, a sore throat, or any other symptoms of the flu, you must have drank something cold. Everyone knows that cold water, cold soda, or a cold beverage of any kind predisposes you to a variety of unpleasant illnesses. For this reason, all Peruvian stores and restaurants offers two options for their drinks; cold or room-temperature. However, choose the cold option at your own risk: sickness will surely follow. When I come home from a run my host mom does not permit me to drink cold water until I am no longer warm or sweating, because that will surely cause the onset of a cold. Fans, or any air blowing directly on your body, are also a threat to your health. For this reason, Peru loves to offer lukewarm drinks of any kind! Despite the fact that hygienic practices leave much to be desired and glasses are often shared among dozens of people, it is definitely the temperature that may be contributing to your illness.


BIRTH CONTROL PILLS STOP HAIR LOSS! This is probably my favorite remedy yet, based on the sheer entertainment of the situation. I was complaining to my host mom recently that I feel like my hair is falling out more frequently than it normally does. I mentioned this in passing, not thinking much about it. A few days later, while we’re sitting at the kitchen table finishing up lunch, my host mom hands me a container of pills. Confused, I examine the package and realize they’re birth control pills. Either my host mom is extremely misled regarding my personal activities here in campo Peru, or she has some explaining to do. After laughing hysterically at the situation and my reaction, she explains that her hairdresser recommends crushing up birth control pills in your shampoo to make your hair shiny and prevent it from falling out. Evidently she made my host sister go the health post to acquire birth control to put in all of our shampoo. So we continued to sit at the table and crush tiny white pills (with my host dad and host brother, who also thought this was hilarious). Who knew birth control had so many uses? I’m wondering if we should start marketing this to old, balding men…


EGGS SOLVE HEALTH MYSTERIES! Something bothering you but you can’t quite put your finger on the culprit? Don’t fret! All you need is a simple egg to divulge all your health secrets. “Passing the egg” is a common practice here in Peru to help determine the cause of an illness or psychiatric issue. The process is more or less as follows: First, a healer or someone familiar with reading eggs will pass an egg over your whole body, allowing the egg to “soak up” whatever ailments you may be experiencing. Second, this healer will crack the egg, examine the yoke, and decipher your health problems. Often the cause may be an “asusto” or fear that is penetrating your body, but don’t worry, the first step to recovery is recognizing this fear through the passing of the egg.


GUINEA PIG FAT CURES CANCER! Cuy, or guinea pig, is a delicacy here in Peru and it’s often consumed on birthdays, parties, or other special occasions. However, it has recently come to my attention that the fat found in guinea pigs actually dissolves cancerous tumors. I’ve long since forgotten the American connation of guinea pigs as pets and embraced them as a food, but guinea pigs as a cancer cure is news to me. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment