Friday, April 15, 2011

Getting Busy

Things have been picking up quite rapidly here in Poroto. During the first several months spent at site, I’ve been coordinating with community members and organizations in order to develop programs and projects as well as support existing efforts carried out in Poroto. Without a particular “job,” or “boss,”, work as a Peace Corps volunteer can be difficult. In an effort to ensure I would have a full schedule and various projects, I made various contacts and started plans for various programs. Fortunately, most everything I’ve tried to start have ended up working out, so I have been quite busy. Although I’m extremely glad I’m so involved in the community and able to stay occupied, I do sometimes feel like I’m pulled in a lot of different directions. I’m working with the health post, 3 schools, 2 youth groups, and other community projects, so it can sometimes be difficult to coordinate with each separate organization.

For example, here was today’s schedule…

7:30-9:00- Meeting and formal formation of my recycling and environmental awareness committee. We formed a group of 3 elementary school teachers and 3 high school teachers along with myself to continue with environmental activities at Virgen del Carmen. I’ve been working on an action plan with these teachers, and we’re set to start an extensive recycling project for the entire school. I’ll update you more on this process as it develops!

9:00-10:00- Tutoria hour with Profesora Elizabeth and Third Grade. This week we talked about sexuality and how it is distinct from sex- responsible decision making, expressing your sexuality and individuality, etc. The kids are definitely warming up to me and participating in the sessions in an active way, which is exciting.

Here's the bike ride route to the caserio....

10:30-12:00- English Class in Con-Con Caserio. First of all, this involves a 30 minute uphill bikeride in the extreme heat and sun, so I always arrive a little disheveled, but have no time to pull myself together because as soon as I dismount my bike the choruses of “SENORITA KELSI” begin and I have children attached to my side. I adore the kids in this caserio; they’re smart, well-behaved, interested, and engaged. It’s amazing!

12:45-1:45- Lunch time with my host family. Today it’s pot

atoes (surprise surprise) with lentils. I always enjoy meals with my host family; they’re super-talkative and always joking around about something.

2:00-2:45- Meeting with the Mayor. The youth group and I have been coordinating a clean-up activity for the town’s mirador, so the youth wrote official documents to solicit painting supplies and garbage bags from the municipality. Luckily the mayor contributed these materials, so I went with the president of the youth group to thank the mayor, pick up the supplies, and snap a quick picture.

3:00-5:30- Teen Mom/ Pregnant Women Cooking & Nutrition

Class- This is one of my favorite activities I do, so I always enjoy Friday afternoons. This week we made healthy banana pancakes with oatmeal, cinnamon, and whole grains. It was a lot of fun to see them try to form the pancakes, and I made each woman/girl, no matter how shy, take a turn flipping them. Everyone loved the pancakes and they’re easy to replicate at home, and can be prepared on a pan over firewood, which is how many families cook.

5:45- 6:30 Run- Also one of my favorite parts of the day. There isn’t much variety in terms of running routes, so everyone likes to wave and yell my name as I pass by. I pretty much equate obnoxious dogs and obnoxious men in the same category, so I carry a rock that I wouldn’t hesitate to throw at either. Other than those minor disturbances, I love my evening runs along the sugar cane fields.

6:30-7:30 Purple Corn Gathering- My host mom makes Chicha Morada, a purple corn and pineapple juice, everyday to sell in her kiosk, so today I walked with her and my host sister to a friend’s house to collect this week’s supply of purple corn. The visit always includes some sort of fruit picking along the way and catching up on the town gossip.

8:00- Dinner time. Tea and bread with avocado while watching my favorite classy Peru Telenovela, Al Fondo Hay Sitio.

9:00- Relax, Read, and Goodnight!

We were warned repeatedly by other volunteers through training and our first several months that site can become boring and that activities can be extremely hard to get off the ground. For all those who know me, you know I like to be on the move. I need to have a busy schedule to feel fulfilled and productive, so from day one I’ve tried to immerse myself in my community and get things going. While I’ve definitely seen challenges, I feel blessed to be busy and hope the programs and projects I have started continue to develop. Not all days are this busy, but I thought I'd share some of my most recent activities. Its always an adventure here, I’ll be keeping you all posted!


No comments:

Post a Comment