Saturday, July 16, 2011

Peace Corps Volunteer or Party Planner?

I’ve recently participated in quite a spectrum of events here in Poroto. If I can’t think of a future profession, I think I may have sufficient experience to take up party planning. As Peace Corps volunteers we’re completely integrated into the community, and become an integral part in community events and celebrations. I’ll fill you in on my most recent celebrations here in Poroto… a wedding, quincinera, and first communion.

A Very Peruvian Wedding… I’ve been to several weddings within the last month or so, which are always a fun occasion. I’m typically invited to be on the decorating committee, so I arrive early or the day before and adorn the locale with flowers, balloons, and sparkly decorations. After 2 years here I’m beginning to think my own wedding is going to be filled with flower balloon formations and glittery letters announcing “Kelsi and Groom” in a giant heart. I’ll also need an enormous cupcake-style wedding dress with lots of sparkles and lace. The obvious choice for our wedding dinner will also be a huge plate of rice, potatoes, and goat on a Styrofoam plate served with a spork. At weddings, guests are seated in a large circle on plastic chairs surrounding the dance floor and hand-delivered an enormous plate of food. 99% of the time it is rice, potatoes, and goat. Now, eating such a large plate of food off your lap in formal attire is hard enough, but eating a tough piece of goat with a spork is just impossible. After everyone’s finished with their meal the dancing begins and doesn’t end until the dozens of “cajas” of beer are finished and most people seem to have trouble standing.

My Super Sweet Quincinera….I was sitting in my house the other day when I heard a knock on the door and someone yelling my name. I open the door and it’s Saydi, one of the girls who lives nearby. She explained that tomorrow she is celebrating her Quincinera, a very important 15th birthday celebration for girls here in Peru. She shyly asked if I would be able to be the “MC” for her birthday party. This may not seem like an important role, but quincineras are extremely important events, and the MC is responsible for guiding the activities and introducing each formal stage of the party. I agreed and spent the evening with Saydi planning out the script for the following day. I arrived early and helped decorate with pink and white balloons, glittery letters, and ribbon before the guests arrived. Holding true to my responsibilities, I happily announced the entrance of the family, friends, and the quincinera herself for this special day. Peruvian festivities follow a formal sequence, so as I was saying something along the lines of “A very good afternoon to all, esteemed parents, godparents, family and friends of our beloved quincinera, Saydi, who have joined us here on this very important day to celebrate a monumental occasion…” into a booming microphone. Don’t forget la “hora loca” which features a clown on stilts, whistles, disco-lights, balloons, and loud cumbia music. Gotta love Peruvian parties…

Fairy Godmother… Madrinas and Padrinos (godparents) are an integral part of Peruvian society. Each child has padrinos who are responsible not only for serving as a second parent, but also funding many of the aforementioned monumental occasions in one’s life (weddings, quincineras, promociones, etc.). Beyond this main set of padrinos, Peruvians also use madrinas and padrinos for other occasions. Early in Peace Corps training we were warned against agreeing to be named madrinas or padrinos for Peruvian children because the expectation for financial support can be a burden. I’ve jokingly been asked to serve as madrina for countless things in Poroto, but I typically shrug it off with a laugh. However, the other week Paola and her mom approached me and asked me to be the madrina for her 1st communion. Although my initial instinct was to decline, I know this family well and enjoy spending time with them. After clarifying there would be no gifts or money necessary, I agreed to accompany Paola for her 1st communion festivities. We woke up early and I left with her whole family to a church in Trujillo. Although Paola is typically pretty shy, she was evidently excited about having me join her for this special occasion. The service was nice, and we enjoyed a delicious lunch and even snapped some pictures with the “Padre.” Now that I’m a “godmother” I’m still waiting for my magical powers, Cinderella style. I’ll keep you posted on that.




1 comment:

  1. It’s never too early to think about the Third Goal. Check out Peace Corps Experience: Write & Publish Your Memoir.

    ReplyDelete