Friday, August 12, 2011

Namesake


As I live out my days here in Peru, I often find myself wondering what kind of impact I will leave. Will the relationships I’ve formed with the youth, my host family, and other community members last? Will the programs or projects I’ve tried to implement be sustainable? Will the students from the colegio remember anything I taught? Will people still talk about Senorita Kelsi after I’m gone? If they do, what will they say? My personal legacy here in Poroto is yet to be determined, and I have a feeling it will include more about my cake-baking, running, and shared laughter than it will with my “work”, but that’s ok with me. However, I have recently been informed that my legacy will be remembered in a very tangible way.

Before I tell the story of my Porotina legacy, I’ll start with the first “namesake” experience I had here in Peru. A few weeks ago I get a call from a fellow volunteer who lives in Arequipa, nearly 30 hours by bus. He seemed a little flustered when he expressed that he had to ask me something. Concerned, I told him to go ahead. Our conversation went something like this…

“Well, you know how I’m always talking about how I spend a lot of time milking cows with my host family?”

“Sure…”

“Well… one of the cow’s is about to have a baby. Guess what they want to name it?”

“I have no idea.”

“Kelsi.”

“Interesting… they haven’t met me.”

“I know… do you mind?”

“Well, I guess not… I’ll choose to take it as a complement?”

“Ok, I’ll let them know. I think the cow’s going to be called Kelsi regardless of what I say anyway.”

So now there is a cow living in Arequipa named Kelsi. I even met her… she’s quite cute. I thought having a cow named after me was a pretty big deal until I had the following interaction…

I was on my way to the health post early last week when a young pregnant woman stops and asks if I have time to talk. I don’t know this woman well, but we’ve chatted before and I believe she’s attended my nutrition/cooking classes for the women at the health post. Our conversation went something like this…

“Senorita Kelsi, I need your help.”

“Umm ok, let’s sit down and talk. What’s up?”

“I just found out I’m having a baby girl. I’m due in October and I need help choosing a name.”

“Hmm… well I don’t have any kids so I don’t know if I’ll be of any help, but I’d be happy to try.”

“Ok perfect. I want something unique, that no one has here. Something that’s not traditional. Maybe an American name?”

“Ok… do you have anyone important in your life who you want to name her after?”

“No”

“Ok… do you have any names you’ve heard that you like?”

“No.”

“Ok… do you have a favorite letter?”

“No.”

“Ok… “(I continue to name dozens of names, literally every possible name I can think of… and she says no, no, no, until finally interrupting my pathetic attempts ...)

“Well, actually I just want to know how you spell your name.”

“Umm, my name? K-e-l-s-I”

“Oooh, how pretty. I like that. That will be perfect.”

“Wait, wait, you want to name her after me?”

“Yes… if that’s ok.”

“Umm, well… I guess?”

“Yes, that’s perfect. Now she has a name… but wait, she needs a middle name! What’s your middle name?”

“Really?

“Yes.”

“Umm… well, it’s Amber.”

“Ahh, ya… Kelsi Amber, that’s it. That’s perfect. Just like you.”

With that, she smiled contentedly, getting what I think she wanted all along, and happily continued on her way. My legacy here in Poroto still remains unsure, but there will be a little girl with my full name to help the entire community remember my 2 year presence here.

No comments:

Post a Comment