Monday, August 2, 2010

Tomorrow is the big day! We all find out our official site assignments and where we will be spending the next two years of our lives. It is so crazy to think that such a big decision is now essentially out of our hands. The entire Peace Corps process involves a huge amount of uncertainty, patience, waiting, and flexibility. We began our application with the possibility of being sent anywhere in the world, then we found out South America, then Peru, and tomorrow the world will be narrowed to one small community in rural Peru. I couldn’t be more excited about finding out the details; there is so I want to know. Many people gave pretty detailed preferences and requests for their sites, but I had a hard time discerning where I would most like to be. Peru has so many wonderful different sites and climates, each with its own pros and cons. The mountains are absolutely gorgeous, but I’m not sure I could handle a 3-6 month rainy season where it rains every single day. On the other hand, I like warm weather and sun but I don’t necessarily want to be in a dusty desert location. I asked for a “temperate” location, so it will be interesting to see where I am sent. Regardless, I think Peru has some of the most incredible communities, so I know I’ll be very happy anywhere. I don’t think I’m going to be able to sleep tonight I am so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment