Monday, October 11, 2010

Exploring the Chacras of Poroto

As I was leaving the health post today I ran into one of my favorite families in town who immediately invited me to join them on a trip to their chacra. Today was an exceptionally beautiful day in Poroto; the sky was crystal blue and the weather was perfect. We climbed up the steep paths through the fields of pineapple, stopping to pick the ripest fruit. Our trek began with a stop at the sweet lemon tree, and considering I’m probably a foot taller than both the mother and daughter I was with, I was elected to swing the 12 foot stick at the tree in hopes of knocking down some fruit. Despite my lacking coordination, we were able to collect enough to appease our appetite for the moment. We continued to eat fresh bananas, avocado, and arrived at the guaba trees. The fields here are built into the steep cerros, so the guaba trees lean precariously over steep cliffs. Before I could turn around, Josy climbed up to the top of the tree and began knocking off the thickest guaba fruits from the tall branches. Meanwhile, I tried to collect the falling fruit without getting knocked on the head or slipping down the side of the mountain. We continued to hike through the chacra and ended at the top where we visited with the men harvesting corn and rode on the donkey around the field. We sat around on logs, talking and laughing as we contemplated my dating prospects here in Poroto. As we were talking we watched a tiny woman walk through the field with a pack of wood on her back that easily doubled her size, to which the senora said, “…and that is why you don’t marry a Porotino.” Point well taken. Before long the sun was setting and we had to find our way down the narrow steep pathways with the light of the moon. We were almost back when I turn around and see the senora tumbling down next to me. I thought for sure she was going to hurt herself, but luckily she started laughing hysterically.

No comments:

Post a Comment