Saturday, October 2, 2010

Showing off our awesome blue and pink manicures.


Today I was invited to join the high school on their field trip to the “Mirador” which is a country-club like compound with a look-out area, small zoo, swimming pools, activity fields, and a dance floor. Although I tend to assume a field-trip is educational, the location was definitely constructed for pure enjoyment. However, it was a really beautiful place, spacious and pretty with a lot of choices for entertainment. It was a good opportunity to hang out with kids and get to know the teachers on a more personal level. Top of the mirador!

On another note, I am consistently entertained by botched English phrases and pronunciations. When I was doing homework with a group of girls the other night one of them asked me to check their English notebook. The first sentence I read was, “We to eat flesh in the restaurant.” I started laughing and explained that not only should it be “We eat or are eating” but I certainly hope you aren’t a group of cannibals. Apparently their dictionary listed “carne” as flesh instead of meat. I can only imagine how many times per day I make some ridiculous mistake with my Spanish that goes uncorrected.

This evening there was a “Noche Cultural” in Laredo that featured dances from different youth groups in the region. Youth from Ian’s town were performing, so I decided to go and see how the event was organized and enjoy some traditional Peruvian dances. We were transported on a combi with the youth from Ian’s town, and I don’t think it’s possible for me to explain how loud the ride was. Kids were literally piled on top of each other screaming and yelling about anything and everything you can imagine. Although there was lots of waiting around for the event to begin, it was neat to see the youth perform a variety of dances from different regions of Peru. Their costumes were quite elaborate, and they were excited to share their performances with us. As I noted in an earlier post, there was also lots of noise and balloons, as are typical at any sort of Peruvian event. It was quite chilly as the night progressed, so eventually Ian and I decided we should stop being grandparents and dance along with the kids, if for no other reason than to stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment