Saturday, November 6, 2010

Feliz Halloween



One of the official Peace Corps goals is to exchange cultural experiences of our home country with those living in our host country. After experiencing many Peruvian festivals and holidays, I decided Halloween would be a perfect opportunity to expose Peruvian youth to some of the “holiday culture” of the US. I never realized how bizarre the traditions of Halloween are until I had to explain them in Spanish to a bunch of Peruvians. Although as a child I loved dressing up and walking around to neighbors houses asking for candy or a “trick” it sounds a little strange out of context. The purpose behind Halloween reminds unbeknownst to me, but the girls in my youth group quickly embraced the idea of a Halloween party. We organized costumes, candy and refreshments, music, and balloons (of course). I was pretty impressed by their enthusiasm, and our Halloween party turned into a successful dance party.

No comments:

Post a Comment