Friday, January 14, 2011

Community Diagnostic Presentation

The community diagnostic survey is a report that I prepared during the first several months here in Poroto. The information presented in the report is a collaboration of various data and observations gathered through a range of informal and formal activities conducted with the community members of Poroto including interviews, observations, surveys, and other interactions. This analysis provides basic groundwork to expose current issues, needs, and trends within Poroto. The results included in the report are intended to help recognize the dynamics of the community and serve as a guide for the development of a comprehensive work plan. The goal of the Community Diagnostic Survey is to acclimate myself to the community and indicate potential areas for project development. My final document ended up being over 30 pages long with extensive evaluation of the community and ideas for a work plan. One of the most important stages of the community diagnostic process is the community presentation, where you invite community members to hear your results, findings, and ideas for your work and help encourage their active role in your plans for the community.

I decided to present my community diagnostic this past week and I believe it went pretty well. I was concerned that participation and attendance may be lacking, but I had at least 15 important community members in attendance including the members of the health post, the mayor, the school principal, presidents of the mother’s clubs and school parent’s associations. I planned to present after another NGO had a meeting, so I could take advantage of those who were in attendance for this meeting as well as inviting others to participate in my presentation. I began with a brief introduction of Peace Corps, the foundation and goals of the organization, and the role of a volunteer. Some of the main topics revealed in my presentation were teen pregnancy, a lack of future planning, limited opportunities for youth engagement, and alcoholism. Hopefully some of the projects I’m beginning to form will help tackles these issues with the support and interest of community members. Although I’m fairly confident in my Spanish skills, delivering an extensive report in Spanish to a room full of important authorities is a bit overwhelming. I frequently think about how confident I will be delivering reports, forming business relationships, or presenting propositions in English in America after spending 2 years conducting all work-related activities in a foreign environment speaking Spanish. Overall I am looking forward to partnering with various community members and organizations to help engage the youth in meaningful. Surely my contributions will only have a very limited impact on the people here, but hopefully when coupled with the efforts of the community at large we’ll be able to contribute to the continual advancement of Poroto.

No comments:

Post a Comment