Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cultural Exchanges



Peace Corps has three specific goals in which volunteers are expected to work. The first goal, providing trained volunteers with useful technical skills to countries who solicit the support, is the most substantial goal where most of our “work” falls under. However, there are two other goals of Peace Corps in which we are continually involved: sharing aspects of American culture, values, and beliefs with our Peruvian communities as well as sharing our experiences and aspects of Peruvian culture, values, and beliefs with Americans. Although this may seem like a negligible part of one’s experience and work here, I believe it is not only important, but vital for success as a volunteer. I’ve spent the past 6 months in constant communication and sharing with my host community. Each day I learn something new about Peruvian culture, the lives of those in Poroto, and the experiences that shape the beliefs of the people here. In exchange, the community of Poroto has learned about my life in America, customs and culture from my country, and my own personal experiences and stories from home.



Although it is easy to get wrapped up in planning successful projects and programs that positively influence the life of the youth and community of Poroto, I’ve found some of the most meaningful moments I’ve spent here so far have been casual interactions. As I’ve sat around with community members at town events, in the plaza, on a combi, or during one of my programs, I’ve learned more and more about their lives. Each time I hear a new antecdote about their experiences, I can better understand the community in which I am immersed, and more open to the customs or habits that initially seemed foreign or bizarre to me.



Additionally, the more I interact with my community the more I can be myself and share details about my life and home. The language and cultural barrier can be significant at times, but the more I open up to my community, the more I feel like my personality is truly my own. I’ve shared various pictures, stories, and experiences with various people in my town, and they’re always interested by life in the US and my family and friends there.



One way I’ve been trying to facilitate communication between the US and Peru is through my World Wide School matches. We’ve started to exchange letters and emails between some of the students here in Poroto and students from my hometown. Although communication can be somewhat difficult given lack of access to technology and slow mail correspondence, the interaction that the students here have received from the US has been really wonderful. I received a huge packet of Christmas cards from Miss Mohap’s 8th grade classes and my kids loved reading them. They tried to decipher the English phrases they’ve been learning in my classes, but ultimately I was able to translate the cards and they were thrilled to hear a bit about life in the US and the interest displayed in their lives here. The students have more in common than one might think; for example, they can happily bond over their shared interest in Hanna Montanah, the Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber (although I think the fans might be more die-hard here in Peru). The fact that guinea pig is a delicacy here is a favorite topic of conversation, and my students here still think it’s hilarious that guinea pigs are pets. Hopefully as the school year starts I can gain access to computers and improve the communication between the students; they’re both very curious about each other and it’s a great way to be exposed to another part of the world!

1 comment:

  1. Kelsi, this is so exciting!! Thanks for the post, I can't wait to show my kids...they'll LOVE it! I'm sending my kids' replies this weekend, so you should get them soon.

    ReplyDelete