Friday, February 25, 2011

Feliz Cumpleanos!





I love birthdays but I didn’t have many plans or expectations for my first Peruvian birthday. However, like most experiences in this country, it turned out be quite memorable. I woke up at 6:30am to a chorus of singing and banging on my door. Confused, I stumbled out of bed and opened my door to my host family smiling and singing, with their arms outstretched to embrace me in big birthday hugs. Although I was still half-asleep, their gesture made me feel so loved and was a fabulous start to my 23rd birthday.

I continued my day sipping on a caramel-starbucks instant coffee, sent to me by my sister, Abby and reading through the stack of letters and packages sent from friends and family from home which took me back to the US for a few minutes. Later, I ate breakfast and wondered around town for a bit. Somehow word spread that it was my birthday, so I was given lots of hugs and invited to fruit and other birthday treats. Later in the morning Ian and Erin, two of my best friends and volunteers in La Libertad, surprised me at site and joined me for a lovely morning in the sunshine of Poroto. My host family killed one of their only two hens for lunch in honor of my birthday and we all shared in a meal filled with conversation and laughter. Erin and Ian brought a delicious chocolate cake that we shared after lunch, but only after my host mom attempted to smear icing all over my face.

The girls from my youth group insisted on taking me to the swimming pool to celebrate, so after lunch I met up with what turned out to be a group of about 15 girls. After greeting me with the traditional birthday hugs, we piled on the combi as they tried to keep the chocolate cake they prepared for me a secret. We went to the pool and spent the afternoon swimming and enjoying the sunshine. Most of the girls who came are part of my baking club, so they were really proud of their beautiful cake they prepared without my guidance. I was sung Happy Birthday in Spanish and English, had a photo shoot, and ended the afternoon with a dance party (It certainly wouldn’t be a proper Peruvian birthday celebration without some dancing).

I was able to talk to my family from home and received lots of cards and letters from friends from home, and thoughtful calls and texts from other volunteers, which made the day even better. After a full day of birthday celebrations, it ended perfectly with homemade pineapple upside down cake for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment