Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Summer's End



After two months of “vacaciones utiles” programs, the summer vacation is winding down and the new school year will begin shortly. The past two months have flown by, and I’ve been kept quite busy with the summer classes I’ve organized with the youth of Poroto.

I taught English classes to both elementary and high school students and incorporated aspects of both American and Peruvian culture into the lessons and activitie

s. The kids seemed to enjoy the classes, and those involved now greet me with a “hello” instead of an “hola” and can happily converse in basic English phrases. Although learning a language is an extensive process, exposure and interest at an early age will hopefully open doors for these students. Additionally, I taught classes focusing on environmental awareness where we explored the environment of Poroto and how we can better care for the community.

In addition, I taught “manualidades” classes, which is basically arts and crafts, but with the intention of using the products to sell and teach small business skills

. The girls loved learning how to make bracelets and earrings, and it was a great opportunity for them to get together and chat while learning a new hobby. I taught classes at the main school in Poroto as well as one of my caserios, Mochal, where I facilitated a “summer camp” style weekly program composed of art, sports, English, and other activities. One of their favorite games was “Casita.” What exactly is Casita, you may ask? Kickball. The first time I taught the students to play I drew the bases in chalk on the volleyball court, and not knowing what to write for “Home” I wrote “Casa,” which means “House.” Peruvians have a tendency to add “ita” to the end of every word, so Kickball in Poroto is now known as “Casita.”

The summer months have passed quickly and kept me busy; I’ve

learned a lot and have many ideas for how to facilitate programs in the future. Each day is a learning experience, and the longer I’m here the more comfortable I am. The weather is still warm and sunny, and as my friend Kim said, “This whole experience has just felt like a really long August.” She couldn’t have spoken more truly, because although I’ve been living here in Poroto for about 6 months, part of me feels like it’s just been an extended August.

No comments:

Post a Comment