Saturday, May 14, 2011

Feliz Dia de la Mama



I never realized that Mother’s Day was celebrated internationally, but after a year in Peru I shouldn’t be surprised that this holiday also entails an elaborate celebration. Mother’s Day is celebrated on a community level in Poroto, and the teachers and students have been preparing festivities for weeks leading up to the big day. Each classroom prepared a special skit, dance, or sing-a-long to honor their mothers. Intricate costumes, well-rehearsed choreography, and enormous baskets of goodies were all part of the Mother’s Day traditions in Poroto. I attended the show, along with hundreds of other community members and was quite entertained by the performances. The day began with dances from the elementary school students, parading around in ridiculous costumes and dancing to popular Spanish songs. Heartfelt poetry recitations and dramatic prayers were also included in the program. As the high school students began their dances, the show turned PG-13. Girls wore bikini tops and high heels as they shimmied to Reggaeton music and the audience (primarily composed of mothers) looked on, unfazed.

In the spirit of the holiday, my youth groups and I decided to participate in the Mother’s Day celebrations as well. Each group collected canned food and other goodies to fill decorated baskets for mothers in the community. The local government raffles and distributes baskets of food for mothers, but the youth were really excited about providing their very own baskets to include in the celebration.

My health post and I also organized a Mother’s Day event for the pregnant women in our community. We made cake, played music, and the women received free diapers. Peruvians love “palabras” or small speeches for any occasions, so I often find a microphone shoved in my hand at events. Mother’s Day was no exception, so I found myself giving an impromptu speech about the importance of mothers in our lives and the impact they have on our development.

The longer I work in my community the more I realize how important a solid familial structure is. Home life impacts every aspect of a child’s development, and students who have supportive parents are far more likely to succeed than parents who don’t take an active role in their children’s education and social life. Women really are the key to development; an educated woman is far more likely to be able to support her family and make positive choices for her children’s life. Mothers have a huge impact in the health, development, and success of their child, starting even before they are born.

On Mother’s Day I am incredibly grateful for my own mother and the active role she plays in my life. She is strong, loving, selfless, and talented. Growing up with a mom who worked outside the home but made time to hike, do art, ask questions about my thoughts and opinions, go on adventures, and invest in my future made an incredibly huge difference in my life. Happy Mother’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment