Sunday, May 8, 2011

One Year Post Grad...

One year ago today I was walking across the College of Charleston cistern, wearing a white dress as I shook hands with the dean and clutched my diploma with a smile. During my four years at college Charleston became my second home, and the memories I shared there will stay with me forever. I can remember the flood of emotions running through my body on graduation day. I couldn’t have asked for a better college experience, so saying goodbye to a place that meant so much to me wasn’t easy. The “real world” loomed ahead, and so many uncertainties remained. At this point I knew I would be leaving for Peace Corps in a month, but the concept was still vague and my expectations were hazy. I could have never anticipated the experience that lay ahead; this past year has been filled with so many changes, growth, and new experiences.

Charleston is a beautiful city with so much character and an endless supply of entertainment; beaches, restaurants, music, nightlife, and thousands of people who share similar interests. Although I worked hard and did well, my college experience was a bit of an extended vacation: living in a beautiful historic house, taking weekend beach trips, enjoying friend’s boats, and spending countless hours with my best friends. I can think of few places that contrast more significantly with rural Peru than downtown Charleston. However, in many ways Charleston prepared me for the past year in Peace Corps. In my four years at Charleston I developed my interests and skills, formed meaningful friendships, and most importantly grew confident in myself. As I look back at college and the years before, I can now see the small decisions, relevant conversations, and influential experiences that led me to where I am today.

As I live in a small community without American friends or family, I occasionally find myself longing for the comfort of college and the stability of home. The ability to speak my own language, express myself to people who understand me, and enjoy the basic amenities of America sometimes seem appealing. However, these occasional moments are far outweighed by the new and exciting experiences I’ve had over the past year. The challenges have made me appreciate the little things in life and the successes have allowed me to gain confidence, and the highs and lows have allowed me to grow and change in a positive way. This year has been full of changes and transitions, but it has also been full of new experiences, exciting opportunities, and meaningful relationships. As I walked across the stage on graduation day, I didn’t know what this year would hold. Now, although I’m completely immersed in my Peace Corps experience, I still don’t know what the upcoming year will bring. However, this past year has taught me to take one day at a time, be patient, take risks, and embrace every opportunity and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment