Thursday, June 10, 2010

Adios!

Its 5:25am and I’m sitting in Gate 6A at the ABE airport about to embark on an adventure that will mark the most drastic departure from my current lifestyle, and hopefully also be the most fantastic adventure I’ve yet to experience. As I said my goodbyes over the last weeks, I haven’t quite grasped the gravity of this choice or the length of my absence. I’ve deliberately avoided overanalyzing the upcoming months and have suppressed any apprehension or fear I may have. Despite my effort to remain calm, the occasional butterflies and heart palpitations have set in over the last 2 days. Part of me feels like I should be yelling, crying, or generally freaking out, but I’m remarkably calm. I’m absolutely convinced this is exactly where I should be.

I am blessed with an incredible network of family and friends from home, and their love and interest in this decision has been encouraging and I know and I’ll rely on their support to sustain me during challenges and doubt. So many thoughts and emotions are flashing through my mind as I await my flight, but one emotion prevails: excitement. Excitement to see a new culture, excitement to travel and experience a new lifestyle, excitement to meet new people, excitement to be challenged, to grow, to stretch, and excitement to hopefully incite positive change in an area that direly needs assistance.

I may be optimistic, I may have a smile constantly spread on my face, but I’m also realistic; I expect challenges, I expect hardship, and I expect doubts about my abilities. However, I also expect to face these challenges with faith, enthusiasm, and passion. I’m sure a wild ride is in store, but I am ready to thrive on new experiences and embrace every opportunity presented to me. Cuerpo de Paz Peru- Estoy aqui, estoy lista, y estoy emocionada!

No comments:

Post a Comment