Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Today we found out our language groups and more in-depth plans for the upcoming weeks. Our language classes are conducted within the community and should be both fun and productive. During our morning language discussions we heard a series of “cohetes” or firecrackers, which seem to be a commonplace noise here in Chaclacayo. Evidently there are celebrations for saints and other festivals quite frequently. We all ran out of the training center to experience the procession first hand. There was a group of people carrying an adorned throne with flowers, followed by a band and women throwing flowers. There was also a woman at the front of the procession who was in charge of setting off the cohetes every few minutes. Some of us were invited to help carry the throne and participate in the procession, which I thought was a really neat gesture. We all became involved in the celebration and the locals seemed to embrace our presence and participation in their procession.

At lunchtime Papa hand-delivers my hot lunch to the training center, which I think is adorable. We’ve been getting vaccinations to prepare for our travels each day, so we all have been walking around with band-aids, sore arms, and lolli-pops given to us by the medical staff. Each staff member seems completely dedicated to their job, and we spend much of the day laughing. I’m interested to learn more about the history of Peru and the lasting effects of the terrorist group “The Shining Path” that was extremely active and destructive in the 1980s.

After training I went home and was able to finally meet my host mom, Guadalupe. She’s extremely warm and engaging, so I loved chatting with her for most of the evening. Despite my limited Spanish skills we were able to talk for several hours over hot milk mixed with ground corn. She works in Lima Friday through Tuesday while Pablo cares for Grease and tends to the home. We talked extensively about women’s rights and the changing times. She explained that Pablo isn’t a “Machista” and although he has worked in accounting and pharmacy, she now works while he stays home. I think living with this family will help me see the possibilities that are available to the women and people in general of Peru, and hopefully provide me with motivation as I work in less developed areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment