Wednesday, September 15, 2010




Although there are many things I love about Poroto, one of my favorite activities is definitely exploring the local chacras. Fresh fruit grows throughout the surrounding fields, and I’ve tried several new fruits lately on little adventures I’ve taken with my host sister or other youth here. Today we went to explore the river, which runs through Poroto and provides a main source of water for the town. I’ve learned that any “paseo” usually turns into a several hour expedition, and this was no exception. We set off for the river and passed through various fields where farmers were harvesting crops, burning sugar cane, and leading cows through the chacras. It seems like my host family is related to just about everyone in town, so we chatted briefly with various aunts, uncles, and cousins as we passed by. Although the river wasn’t particularly full, it was still quite pretty. We continued onto the main road and finished out the next several miles of our “paseo” intermittently walking, running, and eating fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment