Friday, September 10, 2010

I’ve started teaching four English classes each week, two with older students at the secundaria in Primaria, one in the primaria in Shiran, and one in the caserio of Mochal. Each group of students is very different, but I’ve enjoyed getting to know the students through my lessons. For the most part, they’re extremely interested in learning English, so it’s been a fun experience. However, ability levels, ages, and attentiveness definitely vary among the students, so keeping the lessons both relevant and interesting can be a challenge. Some of the older students have started meeting with me in the afternoons to practice their English and just hang out, which has been nice.

I’ve also been able to continue interest in my running; I’ve had several different youth join me on my runs this week. Not only is it a good way to bond with some of the local youth, but I also think it promotes healthy lifestyle choices. Plus, I’m usually given fresh fruit from someone’s store or chacra at the end of the run, so it’s a bonus for me! In addition, I’ve been working on my volleyball skills and they’re coming along slowly but surely. The girls are extremely encouraging and full of praise for any small improvement I make. They keep inviting me back to play with them, so I can’t be ruining their games too badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment