Saturday, September 11, 2010

The American Flag outside the US Embassy in Lima, Peru


On the anniversary of 9/11 we’re reminded of the fragility of life, of security, and of power. Even the strongest nations are vulnerable, and the threat of terrorism looms as a potential threat to all those who live in the modern world. Although I am far removed from the US, as I honor the memory of 9/11 I think it is incredibly appropriate to be living in Peru, taking advantage of one of the many privileges I’m afforded as an American. Few countries have the opportunity to support international volunteers and promote development through local engagement. In a world that can seem so immense and sometimes so overwhelming, the short time that I have served as a Peace Corps volunteers has further opened my eyes to how small the world can be. Sensationalism in our media that focuses on violence and fear can distract us from the beauty that lies in global relations.

I remember how the world community rallied behind the US after the attacks on the twin towers. Not only did America unify over the simultaneous grieving and recuperation process, but America was supported internationally as we fought to find our path forward after such a tragedy. Although large-scale events where multiple countries are unified and focused may not occur with great frequency, I believe Peace Corps volunteers are fortunate enough to see intercultural collaboration and unification on a daily basis. Every day since I have arrived in this country I have engaged in some sort of cultural exchange. The shared meals, laughs, stories, and traditions have proven to me how valuable it can be to travel and see how the rest of the world lives. The simplest interactions can be compelling symbols of shared experiences and understanding.

I was thinking about the name of the Peace Corps in Spanish, “Cuerpo de Paz” which literally means “Body of Peace.” As I begin my service I frequently wonder what kind of impact I will have; as one person in one small community, what kind of difference can I possibly make? Realistically, I am not going to make any large-scale contributions to the development of Peru. However, I am only one of the thousands of Peace Corps volunteers living throughout the world and representing the values, skills, and traditions of the US. In this “body” of volunteers we each have small roles, just as each part of our body has its own function separate from the whole. The individual interactions we have with people throughout the world leave traces of “peace”- smiles, successful projects, friendships, support. Although small on its own, when combined with the thousands of other small-scale impacts made by volunteers throughout the world, the “Cuerpo de Paz” is a body that represents countless shared experiences and positive interactions on the parts of both volunteers and their host communities. I can think of no better way to represent the heart of the United States than by providing the opportunity for citizens to travel and support other countries as they learn and grow from the experiences they are afforded as adopted members of communities throughout the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment